Sunday, June 24, 2012

Week 3…

I finally broke down and contacted ElliptoGO about my creaky handlebar stem. Naturally my call immediately went to voice mail. However, around 5:00 pm I received a call back from a very nice Elliptigo technician. She asked me a few questions, diagnosed the problem and then provided step by step directions on how to fix it. I was impressed and appreciative for the help. I haven’t fixed it yet but at least I know how.

Thursday 6:30 am
78⁰F with just a hint of a breeze. Had a nice ride and was able to push hard enough to keep my heart rate around 135 bpm. Still having a bit of a problem with 2nd gear – another adjustment required. Total ride time 40 minutes.

Friday 6:30 am
Another great day for Elliptigoing. A little cooler than yesterday with a nice breeze out of the east. Once again, with a little pushing, I sustained my heart rate at 135 – 145 bpm for most of the 45 minute ride. Take a look at the heart rate chart over in the right hand column to find your optimum.

Saturday 6:30 am
This was the first morning in the last 3 weeks that I was less than excited about riding. But my enthusiasm improved once I got going. It was pretty steamy hot with very little wind. Got my heart rate up in to the 130’s for about 30 minutes before I returning home.

Sunday 6:30 am
Final morning of my 3 week chronicle. Temps in the upper 70’s and not a breath of air. Pushed hard for the first half of the ride and then cruised back to the house, enjoying the scenery.

Week 3 Observations:
One of my biggest reservations about purchasing an Elliptigo was that I wouldn’t enjoy riding enough to use it as a regular source of exercise.  I “do” enjoy riding and it’s turned out to be a GREAT source of exercise. It’s very low impact and I’ve had no muscle or joint pain. At first I was a little unstable on the Elliptigo but my riding ability has greatly improved. Now, I’m as comfortable on the Elliptigo as I am on my bicycle. So bottom line – I give the Elliptigo a BIG THUMBS UP. Price is still a huge issue and I have a hard time understanding why they are so expensive - but I’m glad I made the investment.

Disappointments:
I have been a little disappointed in the number of adjustments required in the first 3 weeks. This may not have been quite as big a deal if I had a dealer nearby to do the work. But since I don’t, I’ve had to do my own repairs. The Support Videos are very helpful and the Elliptigo technician that called me about my handlebar stem was very informative. This was an unforeseen issue but not a deal-breaker and I still give the Elliptigo a big thumbs up.

So here is a final analysis based on my original concerns...

WOW that’s a lot of money. More than my first car cost.
True - but worth the investment.

What if I don’t like it all that much once I buy one?
I really enjoy riding it.

At 6’6” and 210 lbs, am I too big for an Elliptigo?
Nope. I look freakishly tall but it fits great.

Will I get a decent cardio workout or will it be like my beach cruiser?
I've been able to consistently sustain a heart rate of 130 - 140 bpm.

Will it be too hard on my knees/hips/back – despite what the ads say?
No knee issues other than the normal (unrelated) aches and pains.

What if – like all first generation stuff, there are design improvements or the price goes down?
Only time will tell...

Post Script...
Shortly after I posted this entry I received the following 2 emails from ElliptiGO. Frankly I didn't expect to hear from them and I must say that I was VERY impressed with their response. Another plus in the ElliptiGO's favor.


Hi Don,
I would like to thank you for not just taking the time to post the blog, but to forward it to us to share your insights and feedback. I totally appreciate the effort and thorough examination of your entire purchasing and test riding experience! Your feedback is invaluable and is something we can learn from that will help us grow and continue to strive for providing the best product and customer relationships as we can.

The ElliptiGO is an investment and one we take considerable pride in, however, we know we can improve and it helps to have honest feedback on everything from price concerns, to first test rides, to maintenance. I do apologize you experienced a week plus of frustrations not having everything perfect out of the box. I am your point of service here at ElliptiGO and while we also support our dealers, if there is any questions you have or concerns or issues, I hope you will give either your dealer or us a call to help resolve/answer it. I truly hope you continue enjoying your ElliptiGO and keep us posted on your many adventures! I enjoyed your blog and look forward to reading more! 

Sincerely,
Keri Cleeremans
ElliptiGO Inc,

Don,
Thanks very much for posting your review. It felt very even to me (even a bit more positive than I would have expected given the annoyances you’ve had with your ElliptiGO). It’s really, really helpful for me to be able to get that kind of insight into your experience. We’re working hard to deliver a quality product to our customers and it’s tough to gauge how we’re doing. We clearly have a long way to go to meet expectations across the board, but it’s nice to see that the product resonates with you (as it does with almost all of our customers). 

I sincerely apologize about you receiving an ElliptiGO that had a mis-adjusted shifter. I can provide a list of excuses as to how that got to you, but the bottom line is that you should not have had to deal with that and we are investing additional time and effort into preventing that in the future. I’m confused about the creaking. I know you’ve been in touch with Keri about that, but I have been traveling and now she is traveling, so I haven’t been able to close the loop there. That is an unusual issue on the c-series ElliptiGOs. Was Keri able to resolve it?

How did you feel about your customer service experience in general? Were there other issues that you had?  Did we help to resolve them?


Thanks again for taking the time to put this together – we really appreciate it, not only for our education but also to help other potential purchasers get a sense of what to expect.

Bryan Pate
Co-Founder and Co-President
ElliptiGO Inc.


More...
For continued information on my experience and ElliptiGO related topics, be sure to check out the ElliptiGO Galveston Blog.

 



25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your blogs about your experience with the Elliptigo. I'm curious as to what your assessment is now of the maintenance required by the Elliptigo. How often are you having to do adjustments? How easy is it work on or are you using a bike shop? Have you had any other problems with the Elliptigo?

Jim Wood said...

good blog. I'm contemplating a purchase and have many of the same reservations. It is hilly where I live so I definitely want the 8 speed cycle. thanks again.

bikerjohn said...

So, the 3 week period was satisfactory. How is it going now? How well has the Elliptigo held up under 200+ pounds of stress?

Anonymous said...

How is it riding riding on unpaved roads or wide trails?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! Very informative, I have a problem with the cost as well, but I have a $3000.00 Precor Elliptical at home that I use almost everyday for 45 minutes. I have done this for four years, I am just looking forward to outside rides again. I can't use a bike anymore (bad knee) but I think I will break out the bones and buy one. This is more $ than my second car, YIKES! but cheaper than my costs on my heart stent when I was 50. I am only 5'9" tall I hope it fits me well. Here we go!!
Thanks again,
Allen

Jim said...

Thanks for the review. I tried one (inside) at the Boston Marathon Expo and liked the feel. They do need to get the price way down before I could consider a purchase. I will stick to me kickbike when I want to do something besides running or biking.

Special K said...

Thanks for posting this. Convinced me to take one (the 8C) for a test ride tomorrow. I can no longer ride bikes b/c of a disc issue in my lower back but want something to ride with my family and for exercise. I've done elliptical training in the gym for 9 years, primarily HIIT so I think this could be a nice fit for me. Glad you're 6'6. I'm 6'4 and was concerned about the height. :)

Special K said...

Don, based on your blogs I pulled the trigger today on that red 8C. Picking it up tomorrow and can't wait! Thanks again for taking the time to post these blogs, they were instrumental in my decision.

Anonymous said...

I rode one as a rental in missoula montana and loved it! I am getting a used one this week (hard to find as they are new and rare). I absolutely love it. Great exercise and certainly fun! Even on my one hour ride heads were turning and peoe were asking about it. All i could say was "yes, it IS as fun as it looks!!!"

Anonymous said...

I had been thinking about purchasing one of these for the past couple of years. I did a test drive and wasn't allowed to go anywhere but a small 50 foot circumference at the back of the Busy Body store. That was two years ago. Shortly after that ride, I broke my shoulder ice skating and fell off of the workout routine for the next two years. i just couldn't seem to get motivated....until I read your blog. I decided to take the plunge and purchased a lime green 8C twelve days ago. Needless to say, I have ridden it every, single day. My husband jumped on it before I could get to the 3rd day and I thought we were gonna have to duke it out. That dang thing is so much fun and we live in the perfect neighborhood for riding it (Lakes of Eldridge North in Houston). Every single day I turn on my Runkeeper app and jump on and track myself through the neighborhood. Thank you for being my inspiration. If you ever want to come ride in my hood, just say.

bolander2 said...

I found your blog on the Elliptigo very informative. Please consider sending me an invite so that I can continue reading about your Elliptigo experience. I have the same financial reservations as you do.

Thanks,
Roel

Daddydude54 said...

How do I get invited to your blog I am a new owner Thanks

Bohris said...

I would be interested in a blog invite. I am considering buying an elliptigo.

jesseallen said...

Nice to read a real unbiased review without the hype. Looking into one of these myself but am a bit concerned with the "stem creaking". The other concern I have is whether the Elliptigo provides enough upper body workout. It looks like mainly a running type machine. I presently Trikke as well as bike. The Trikke will definitely give a total workout but it is just that...a workout.
Thanks again for taking the time to document your experience....

Dan said...

It was great to read your review / blog. I am also considering purchasing one. I would love an invite to your blog so I can see how your doing now and if you are still happy with your purchase.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog, Thanks! Anyone aware of ANY type of discount on these? Price is steep! From New England area and don't mind travelling.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading but wish for more recent updates. I bought the 8s when it first came out. Have had it for years. Last year was the first major repair I had to do. Replaced the rollers due to cracking. From my understanding, the cause was our cold weather here in Colorado.
I easily can go 26-54 miles a ride. Im 54 and live in the mountains. So mine has seen many mies.I have never had to make any other adjustments. As for the cost going down, I can sell mine for more than I paid at this time.

Sylvain said...

Why can't I read your ElliptiGO Galveston Blog? They answer I need to be invited...

Bob Towery said...

Great series. I'm interested in the product too. Would like an invite to your blog.

kevin said...

I'm considering a purchase at Performance Bikes in Reston VA. I wonder if I could use it for a 4 mile commute. Please invite me to your blog.

Grande said...

I'd love to read more about your ElliptiGO adventures. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Excellent blog. A periodic update would be super. I'd probably be willing to seriously consider one for $500 or less. Will look on craigslist for a used one or wait for the price to come down.

From a fellow research-oriented buyer

Anonymous said...

I took a test drive today on a 8 speed. Loved it, but need more space to ride before I decide to drop that kind of money. Loved reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your review, like you I am going to make the plunge and was worried a little about the price and performance. I've read many reviews and tried 3 bikes out and am settled on the 2016 8C. I cannot wait to have it in my garage and available whenever I want to ride!

Jeff said...

I don't see much on the internet about Elliptigo except what has been generated by Ellitigo. Ellitigo has a great product with good support (both Bryan and Keri). I think that it is basically well designed with the exception of the track/roller system. But that does function ok and all in all the ride experience is far better for me than a conventional bicycle. I bought a used 3C and upgraded it to an 11 speed hub, perfect for me. Been riding it about 4 months now and my road bike is at the shop for sale. No more bicycle seats for me. I also just ordered their new Rsub to add to my Elliptigo workout. Any further comments, observations and Elliptigo experiences by you? I have seen an article about a front disk brake upgrade which looked interesting. Hope to hear from you or anyone else reading here.