Sunday, June 24, 2012

Week 2...

After a 3 day break from riding, I’m back and ready to begin again. I’ve managed to get 2nd gear to work with a minor adjustment to the shifter barrel. Also, I’ve found a solution to the hand perspiration issue. I wipe my hand on my pants. That may sound a bit simplified but the significance here is that initially, I didn’t think I’d ever be able ride one-handed – even for a minute. That being said, my riding ability/confidence has GREATLY improved and I’m feeling very comfortable on the Elliptigo.

Thursday Morning – 6:30 am
Pretty steamy out with a light breeze. Recent rains have really jacked up the humidity. I begin my run down the Seawall in to the wind. This week I have my heart rate monitor and a quick check after a few minutes of pedaling showed 135 bpm. Perfect – I’m hitting my target. The ride back was a bit easier and my HR went down to 125 bpm. Still, I was feeling the burn by the time I got back to the house. Total ride time – 40 minutes.

Friday Morning – 6:30 am
Temperature in the upper 70’s with a light breeze out of the West. My rides are becoming routine – but not in a bad way. I like having a set exercise regime. BUT at my age that can quickly become a rut. I’ve already started thinking about other places I might ride ride or maybe even an event. The Seawall is still the ideal location. Oops – kind of got off track there. Speaking of which, I am now noticing a new noise other that the swish-swish the Elliptigo usually makes. Sounds like something rattling in the track. Oh and BTW my handlebar stem is still making a horrible creaking sound. Total ride time 40 minutes.

Saturday Morning – 6:30 am
Nice riding conditions with a few scattered clouds to cool things off. A very nice ride along the Seawall. The ride back, in to the wind, was pretty challenging and it was nice to have 2nd gear to lighten the load. Now that I’m more comfortable riding the Elliptigo I can better enjoy the sights and sounds of the Gulf. Still have a bit of a rattle in the right track. Guess I’ll have to make another adjustment. Total ride time – 40 minutes.

Sunday – 6:30 am
Humidity on the rise with only a slight breeze. Nice run up and back on the Seawall. My initial attempts at adjusting the track didn’t work and there is still a bit of a rattling noise. I’ll have to give it another shot. Another enjoyable ride on the Elliptigo. Total ride time – 40 minutes.

Week 2 Observations:
I’m definitely feeling more comfortable riding the Elliptigo, which has only added to the enjoyment. The Galveston Seawall is a GREAT place to ride! Best of all, I’m hitting my heart rate goal on 135 bpm (at least on the upwind leg). I may have to push a little harder on the downwind leg of my rides. All in all I still give it a big thumbs up.

Disappointments:
I still can’t get over the number of tweaky things that aren’t working well on the Elliptigo. I guess all new bikes need adjustments as the cables stretch, etc. But I never even considered that my biggest disappointment would be maintenance related. If I had a dealer nearby I would have them make these adjustments but I’m here on an Island – literally. Guess I’ll have to become my own repair expert. The videos are helpful. Makes me wonder if others have had similar issues.

Week 3 coming soon...

No comments: